It was a big weekend for the Huskies. Despite a much tougher than expected win over UCLA, the Huskies managed to survive a weekend where teams like Oklahoma, Michigan State, Stanford, and LSU all managed to find defeat. The net result is a rise in the rankings.
But I think Husky fans may want to temper their enthusiasm. What we saw on Saturday was a reminder that a) it is hard to win a game in the PAC 12 no matter who the opponent and b) the Dawgs are still a long way from anything resembling a playoff path.
The good news is that the impact of coaching is clear. The Huskies are probably playing very close to their talent-defined ceiling thanks in large part to their ability to execute, their attention to details (such as getting into their run-fits, avoiding turnovers, avoiding penalties) and their overall efficiency. The gaps we see in things like not having an edge pass rusher or a top-blowing receiver would have in previous years cost UW a game like the UCLA one.
But this team is good enough to overcome all of that and still get wins. We’ll see if that continues as we go into Eugene.
- One of the things messing up UW’s resume this season is the plight of the Auburn Tigers. Auburn lost to Mississippi State last weekend and now sits tied for fourth in the SEC West. That’s not good. As Stewart Mandel points out, the issue with Auburn is plain as day and has, sadly, very little to do with the quality of the Washington Defense:
- This was a nice moment for Myles Bryant. The Husky DB got to represent the defense as captain of the game on his home turf in LA and certainly soaked up every minute of the team’s hard fought win.
- Many of you are by now aware of the waste that Colorado receiver Laviska Shenault is laying lumber to PAC 12 defenses. But who is #2 in conference receiving this year? I got you.
- More honors for Myles Gaskin, who by the way has shown some real grit this season.
- I get that Jake Browning hasn’t developed a full trusting relationship with Ty Jones quite yet, but we need to see more of this in the second half of the season. Let the big man eat!
- Not sure about the UCLA player photo bombing CCP’s post-game interview, but its worth a watch anyhow.
- In case you missed it, the Huskies secured a commitment from a highly sought after 3* defensive end on Saturday before they took the field against UCLA.
- Jon Wilner’s Saturday Night Five throws shade on Stanford, declares love for Colorado, and makes a bold prediction in the South. He has a few comments about the Huskies in there for good measure.
- Pete Carroll, Ken Norton Jr., and Chris Petersen: how former USC defensive back Will Harris found his way into the role of DB coach for the Washington Huskies.
- The Husky softball team made its first on-field appearance since their run to the World Series last season. It was impressive debut for Hawaii native Nawai Kaupe and all of the other young Dawgs. This link is worth clicking on just to see the softball team’s unique take on purple and gold uniforms.
- Not sure how I missed this last week, but Nick Saban ripping on Alabama students for not showing up at a home game against the Mothers of the Poor is rich. Hey Nick, here is a tip: schedule a few home-and-homes with some interesting competition. And take some friggin’ personal accountability for once.